This Engineering Manager manages assigned engineering resources for the Automation team in support of department objectives and in alignment with department vision and strategy. These resources include the manager’s direct reports (people), physical resources (space, equipment, etc.), and department processes and best practices.
The purpose of the Automation group is to provide automated solutions in equipment, data, and workflows to the production floor, as well as providing high level technical support for manufacturing. This team is a group of Engineers with specific skills and experience needed to design, build, and integrate automated manufacturing equipment.
This individual will be expected to work closely with manufacturing and other project managers to which his/her direct reports may be assigned. He/she collaborates closely with molecular systems, consumables development, manufacturing engineering and manufacturing leadership.
In consultation with senior department leadership, this individual identifies resource (staffing, physical, and process) needs and recommends staffing, capital equipment, space, and process needs/improvements. Consults on topics such as vision, strategy, culture, and objectives.
This individual is expected to work and communicate well with senior leadership, team members, and other groups and departments. He/she works with project and program management to encourage team members to collaborate, coordinate, and interact across projects and departments.Principal Job Duties and Responsibilities:People
d. Provide feedback
i. Coaching and mentoring
ii. Best practices
iii. Career growth of team members
iv. Performance reviews
v. Recommendations for incentives and rewards
e. Approving timecards, PTO, and leave requests
f. Makes recommendations on staffing levels
g. Maintain job descriptions for direct reportsPhysical Resources
a. Identifies and makes recommendations on equipment, space, etc. needs of direct reports
b. Facilitates project interaction by assigning workspace, seating locations, etc. to team membersProcesses
a. Should be familiar with all department processes and all relevant company SOPs/WIDs and policies.
b. Monitors adherence to established processes
c. Identifies and consults on process improvements for the department
- Works with the Director of Engineering to create a group charter.
- Tracks, trends, and reports on key performance indicators relative to direct report performance
- Supports company and department strategy and defined by senior leadership.
- Performs all work in compliance with company policy and within the guidelines of its Quality System.
2. Resource allocation
3. Disciplinary action
4. Best practicesSupplemental Data
1. This position requires attendance at the following types of meetings:
a. Management and Staff Meetings
b. Resource Allocation
c. Training Meetings
d. Technical Reviews (on occasion)
e. Project meetings (on occasion)
2. Minimal travel may be required.
QualificationsTraining and Education:
- BS in Engineering
- Experience in manufacturing automation is preferred
- 5+ years of experience in related field, including performance consistent with said experience.
Experience with the following is preferred:
- Management of Personnel
- Motivation, Incentivizing, Performance Management
- Coaching, Giving Feedback, Performance Reviews
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with other departments to coordinate activities