The world is facing a medical crisis, bacteria are increasingly evolving resistance to even our strongest antibiotics. The problem is already very real and immediate; for example, bloodstream infection leading to sepsis is now responsible for more than half of all deaths in hospitals and is the most expensive condition treated in hospitals. Sepsis mortality rate increases >6% every hour without effective antibiotic treatment. Yet, despite the life and death urgency, and healthcare cost impacts, current methodologies require 3 days to determine the correct antibiotic.
Specific Diagnostics, a bioMerieux company, has developed a breakthrough solution to rapidly determine the effective antibiotic treatment for bloodstream and other acute infections. Used for bloodstream infection Specific’s solution provides results 2 days sooner (1 day vs 3 days).
We offer an opportunity to join us at an inflection point in our commercial growth, with our first commercial product being released new venture capital funding and recognition from major customers and government agencies fueling an expansion of our staff.
- Assist principal scientist on analytical testing projects related to the implementation of process improvements in the research, development, manufacturing and quality control areas.
- Generate and maintain test methods, SOPs, and training documents
- Perform routine maintenance of the HPLC-MS instrument
- Maintain instrumentation records, calibrations, usage log-books, maintenance logs and all other product or project specific documentation.
- Assist and engage in investigations, and work with personnel from operation microbiology team, formulations team to perform analytical testing and or wet chemistry experiments.
- Demonstrate time management and efficiency through careful planning and multi-tasking
- Maintain inventory and order lab supplies as needed
- Participate in critical cross training to ensure that lab support is available to support customer/other team requests,
- Use knowledge and experience to perform experiments to support projects and or investigations as required.
- Analyze data collected in lab experiments using graphical and statistical methods
- Clearly and efficiently communicate research progress using presentation tools in weekly group meetings
- Able to write technical reports on experiments conducted.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- This position requires knowledge of analytical analysis methodologies and instrumentation. This includes, but is not limited to, High Performance Liquid Chromatography (LC), Mass Spectrometry (MS), and Liquid Chromatography with tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS/MS)
- S. degree in a chemistry or biochemistry or related field is desired.
- Prefer 2-4 years of industrial experience with LC Mass Spectrometry (LCMS), HPLC, and UV-Vis spectroscopy.
- Must have computer skills including Microsoft Office (MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint)
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Excellent chemical hygiene, experience working with hazardous materials
- Strong focus and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize accuracy while following best practices in a fast-paced industrial laboratory environment
- Ability to build effective relationships and collaborate with team members across various levels of technical expertise, from technicians through advanced scientists
- Must display good problem solving ability, written communication skills in English, and possess strong organizational skills.
IMPACT / MANAGEMENT SCOPE
Decision Making –must have the ability to work unsupervised and operate with great latitude for independent judgment and initiative.
Extensive standing, repetitive hand and arm motions, ability to climb steps.
Lifting (up to 50Lbs) and moving containers of cartons, tubes, and printed materials.
Operating within cool temperature and low humidity conditions within the production room. Constant noise is common due to the operation of the air-dry chamber, taping and pouching equipment.
Excellent personal hygiene required. Appropriate gowning requirements necessary for the production areas. Gloves are required to handle the product. Hairnet, clean room gowns and/or lab coats are required. Safety glasses and hearing