The world is facing a medical crisis, bacteria are increasingly evolving resistance to even our strongest antibiotics. The problem is already very real and immediate; for example, bloodstream infection leading to sepsis is now responsible for more than half of all deaths in hospitals and is the most expensive condition treated in hospitals. Sepsis mortality rate increases >6% every hour without effective antibiotic treatment. Yet, despite the life and death urgency, and healthcare cost impacts, current methodologies require 3 days to determine the correct antibiotic.
Specific Diagnostics, a bioMerieux company, has developed a breakthrough solution to rapidly determine the effective antibiotic treatment for bloodstream and other acute infections. Used for bloodstream infection Specific’s solution provides results 2 days sooner (1 day vs 3 days).
We have been funded by nearly $30 M in non-dilutive government-sponsored research support and recently $17.5 M in venture capital. This is an opportunity to join us at an inflection point in our commercial growth as we bring our first key product to market and with recognition from major customers fueling an expansion of our staff.
Specific Diagnostics is seeking a Chemistry Lab Coordinator. We are seeking a highly motivated individual with scientific background and laboratory management experience to join us as a Laboratory coordinator in the Chemistry team.
- Oversee and maintain laboratory policies and ensure the staff members comply with organization and Environmental Health and safety requirements including chemical storage and waste management policies through routine inspections.
- Organize and maintain the lab areas. Complete maintenance requirements by cleaning scheduling and assigning team; following up on work order and purchasing.
- Ensure existing equipment is maintained properly and functioning optimally, including submitting work orders and coordinating preventative maintenance and calibration schedules.
- Organize the chemicals in the lab and maintain the inventory. Make sure supplies in the lab are stocked.
- Assist with other research operational duties as needed.
- Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives to increase operational efficiency of the laboratory.
- Closely working with staff to maintain laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level.
- Organize and oversee the material inventory at the freezer and closely work with staff to maintain and update the inventory.
- Interface with staff to request maintenance service to resolves daily laboratory and service issues. Acts as a point of contact between Quality Assurance and laboratory staff.
- Working independently and as a member of a cross-functional team to support chemistry and microbiology research and development.
- Bachelors degree in Chemistry, Biology, or other Life sciences with 4+ years hands-on experience in a laboratory.
- Experience includes 2 years of relevant experience working with equipment and researchers
- Experienced with the standard tools and methods of chemistry and microbiology, such as pipetting, buffer preparation, media preparation, ..
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Strong understanding (advanced skills) of Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to effectively learn new software
- Willing to accept temporary responsibilities outside of initial job description
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership in areas of responsibility
- Comfortable in a fast-paced company environment with potentially minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis, full fluency (verbal and written) of the English language is a must