This position is part of a team working on a variety of laboratory procedures using established methods and techniques under general guidance towards the development of Quality Control related material. This position will work closely with other research associates or scientists in the laboratory. Familiarity with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures including molecular cloning, real-time RT-PCR, and use of fluorescence-based nucleic acid detection techniques is preferred. Performs general lab duties, designs and conducts experiments, collects and analyzes data and keeps an accurate record of all work done. Compliance with good manufacturing practices with supporting documentation is required. Work involves problem solving development of new instrumentation, software or processes, collaboration with other departments for internal support. Writing of studies and reports may be required. May be expected to lead and direct work of others and provide guidance to other personnel.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all work in compliance with company policy and within the guidelines of bioMerieux Diagnostics’ Quality System.
- Successfully perform all steps of plasmid and RNA production and synthesis.
- Performs experiments and generates data associated with the development of positive quality control material or assigned projects Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- Maintains familiarity with current scientific literature.
- Responsible for the full training of other personnel.
- Investigates, creates and develops new controls, methods and technologies for project advancement.
- May be responsible for identifying patentable inventions.
- Uses professional concepts in accordance with company objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways. Expected to contribute to and design troubleshooting procedures.
- Prepares materials for and collaborates with multiple internal departments and external agencies.
- Ensures that laboratory notebooks and documentation supporting processes for assigned projects/experiments are maintained in accordance with BFDX quality standards.
Training and Education:
- Requires a Bachelors/Masters degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent and demonstrated working knowledge of scientific principles.
- 5+ years of experience in the field or related area
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word. The ideal candidate will demonstrate skills in basic laboratory practices (pipetting, materials handling, contamination control). A basic understanding of molecular cloning and PCR is preferred.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Must have sufficient manual and visual dexterity for standard laboratory practices (e.g. pipetting, microcentrifuge tube capping/uncapping, syringe manipulation, etc.; reasonable accommodations are applicable).
- Able to wear required personal protective equipment (PPE) and work at a Biosafety Cabinet in a Biosafety Level 2/2+ laboratory environment.
- Must maintain regular and consistent attendance