- The Automation Controls Engineer is responsible for the support, troubleshooting, and maintenance of the bioMérieux Manufacturing and Packaging Automation Systems, which include PLCs and HMIs, Robots, and Vision Inspection Systems.
- This position specifically requires the programming of: Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and SLC-500 PLCs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View ME HMIs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View SE SCADA Systems. Additionally, this position requires the management and revision of all associated lifecycle documentation.
- The position acts as a site subject matter expert for automation related issues (PLCs, HMIs, SCADA and Historians) based upon good engineering practices, cGMP, GAMP, and related industry standards.
- This position assists in the implementation small to medium scale automation projects. Implements automation modifications to improve safety, product quality and/or reduce costs.
- This position is responsible for the implementation of small-scale automation projects; implementation of automation modifications to improve safety, product quality and/or reduce costs
- Programming and Configuration of InfinityQS ProFicient SPC, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk SCADA and Data Historians Systems.
- Provide support as a subject matter expert to maintain automated data collection systems in a compliant and fit for intended use state.
- Lead small to medium sized projects and make independent decisions.
- Lead or participate in commissioning and qualification activities (e.g., SAT, IQ, OQ) and conduct verification activities as required by the site change control program.
- Analyze computerized systems performance data to identify trends to predict potential failures and aid in solving product and process challenges.
- Create, review, and revise Engineering lifecycle documents for new and existing automated manufacturing systems.
- Provide and document training of technical and production personnel in the application of automated manufacturing systems.
- This position may occasionally require some work to be done during non-standard work hours. Examples include, but are not limited to general maintenance activities, automation upgrades, hardware and/or software migrations, and system validations.
Training, Education, and Experience:
- AAS and a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience required
- Bachelors degree and a minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience preferred
- Experience with automation equipment support in a manufacturing environment preferred
- Must be experienced and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office tools (specifically Word and Excel).
- Hands on experience programming of PLCs and HMIs.
- cGMP, validation and FDA industry experience preferred.
- Strong ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- The Automation Controls Engineer is assigned within Durham Operations. The site operates two high speed filling lines, one high speed packaging line, autoclaves, USP water systems, formulation systems, and mixed gas systems with different degrees of automation within the manufacturing equipment.
- This position has frontline responsibility for manufacturing system decisions directly impacting the site manufacturing activities and product quality.
- Assist automation department with implementation of large-scale projects, including but not limited to new equipment/system integration and equipment CQV activities.
- A self-starter who is organized, detailed, conscientious, and ambitious.
- A team player with a positive attitude, approaching projects/tasks with a sense of ownership and a focus on root cause analysis/sustainable failure prevention.
- Oversees execution of preventative/corrective activities with a focus on constant improvement of existing procedures/processes and ensures all required documentation and records are maintained in accordance with site procedures and cGMP.
- Lead and/or assist troubleshooting efforts to solve and address complex problems.
- Plans, initiates, and tracks progress of work assignments to meet manufacturing schedules and needs; effectively communicates status across shifts, throughout Production, and to site management.
- Less that 5% Travel Required.