Location: Salt Lake City, UT, United States
Position Type: Unfixed Term
Job Function: Facilities & HSE
A family-owned company, bioMérieux has grown to become a world leader in the field of in vitro diagnostics. For almost 60 years and across the world, we have imagined and developed innovative diagnostics solutions to improve public health. Today, our teams are spread across 44 countries and serve 160 countries with the support of a large distribution network. This includes our SLC site, formerly known as BioFire Diagnostics.
This position will serve as a member of the Health, Safety & Environmental team with emphasis on General Industry Occupational health and Safety. This position will report to the HSE Supervisor. Primary responsibilities include promoting and implementing all HSE objectives including HSE programs, policies, and procedures with primary emphasis on occupational health and safety. HSE Tech I/II will work to establish the desired safety culture of occupational incident/injury prevention.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Under general supervision of the site HSE Supervisor or Manager, the HSE Technician I/ will:
1. Implement and monitor the facilities health & safety programs, policies, and procedures
2. May assist with monitoring environmental practices and permitting to ensure compliance
3. Perform job safety analysis (JSA’s) and recommend corrective actions
4. Conduct safety training including; new employee safety orientation, and specific occupational health and safety topic training to individuals and groups
5. Inspect and maintain safety equipment, including fire extinguishers, safety showers/eye wash, first Aid kits and AED’s
6. Assist with site Safety Committee activities and Building Emergency Response Teams (B.E.R.T.S) as required
7. Assist with maintaining the facility wide, web based chemical inventory list and Safety Data Sheets
8. Track, compile and report safety and training statistics
9. Ensure department mgt. has all tools and information required to effectively implement safety programs and initiatives
10. Conduct incident investigations including root cause analysis (RCA) and recommend corrective and preventive measures
11. Conduct safety and environmental audits
12. Other duties as assigned
HSE Technician II will:
1. Complete all the essential job duties and responsibilities outline above, plus.
2. Perform all work in compliance with company policy and within the guidelines of bioMérieux Quality System.
3. Work closely with the continuous improvement (CI) tam to implement safety related CI improvements and initiatives.
4. Mentor and assist HSE Tech I’s.
5. Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must have a passion for and demonstrated commitment for workplace injury prevention and be able to carry out each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The incumbent will have general knowledge of OSHA regulations, standard safety procedures, and best safe work practices. General knowledge of behavioral-based safety programs is a plus. Timely completion and follow-up of assigned tasks and accurate collection and tracking of required data is essential.
1. May spend workday at multiple physical locations in work environments including office, clean space manufacturing, R&D lab and bio-chemistry.
2. Must possess a valid Utah State driver’s license and maintain a good driving record.
3. Must be able to read and write in English.
Training and Education
The minimum educational background and qualifications for this position are: bachelor's degree in safety, or other technical discipline (i.e engineering, industrial hygiene, science) or equivalent combination of college course work and practical experience in safety in a manufacturing or multi-functional operation. Must have experience in training preparation and presentation to individuals and groups.
Minimum of two years’ for HSE Tech 1, Minimum of three years for HSE Tech II experience performing OSHA HSE duties in a manufacturing environment. Or equivalent education. Must have experience in training preparation and presentation to individuals and groups
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Oral Communication - The ability to effectively communicate with all site personnel and regulators. This includes ability to reinforce HSE concepts and policies in a manner that promotes learning and compliance.
2. Written Communication – The ability to write reports, training materials, standard operating procedures and policies.
3. Planning/Organizing - The ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and multi-tasks.
4. Reasoning - The ability to collect and accurately assemble data in a logical manner. The ability to read, analyze and interpret job related information.
5. Dependability – Must have timely and accurate reporting, tracking and follow-up of assignments
6. Computer Skills – Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, Power Point, etc.
7. Timely completion and follow-up of assigned tasks and accurate collection and tracking of required data is essential.
HSE Tech II will have the same Knowledge, Skills and Abilities listed above, plus.
1. The incumbent will have advanced knowledge and experience with understanding of OSHA regulations, standard safety procedures, and best safe work practices.
2. Advanced knowledge, experience, and understanding of behavioral-based safety programs is a plus.
Physical – Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time, lift up to 40 lbs., walk on even and uneven surfaces and stairs, have fine motor coordination, ability to pass a respirator fit test, and have ability to gown for clean room environments.
Please be aware that recruitment related scams are on the rise. Fraudulent job postings are being placed on other websites, and individuals posing as bioMérieux Talent Acquisition team members are reaching out via email or text message in an attempt to collect your personal and confidential information. In some cases, these scammers are also conducting bogus interviews prior to extending fraudulent offers of employment. Beware of individuals reaching out using general phone numbers and non-bioMerieux email domains (i.e. Hotmail.com, Gmail.com, Yahoo.com, etc.). If you are concerned that an interview experience or offer of employment might be a scam, please make sure you are searching for the posting on our careers site https://careers.biomerieux.com/ or contact us at [email protected].
BioMérieux Inc. and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Please be advised that the receipt of satisfactory responses to reference requests and the provision of satisfactory proof of an applicant’s identity and legal authorization to work in the United States are required of all new hires. Any misrepresentation, falsification, or material omission may result in the failure to receive an offer, the retraction of an offer, or if already hired, dismissal. If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you may request a reasonable accommodation in BioMérieux’s or its affiliates’ application process by contacting us via telephone at (385) 770-1132, by email at [email protected], or by dialing 711 for access to Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS).