A world leader in the field of in vitro diagnostics for over 55 years, bioMérieux provides diagnostic solutions that detect disease and contamination to improve patient health and ensure consumer safety. bioMérieux's global headquarters is located in Marcy L'Étoile, France, and we have more than 11,200 team members in 43 countries. With our distributor network, we serve more than 160 countries. bioMérieux, Inc., our Americas division, has more than 4,000 team members across 12 sites or subsidiaries. Our Americas headquarters is in Durham, NC, with nearly 1,200 team members. bioMérieux, Inc. sponsors public health initiatives and partnerships to address antimicrobial resistance, sepsis awareness, food safety, and consumer health. Our passionate team members recognize the power of diagnostics and rally behind our mission to help save lives. PRIMARY PURPOSE AND OVERALL OBJECTIVE OF THE JOB:
CONTEXT OF THE JOB AND MAJOR CHALLENGES:
- The Sr. Automation Engineer is responsible for the support, troubleshooting, and maintenance of the bioMérieux Manufacturing and Packaging Automation Systems, which include PLCs and HMIs, and Vision Inspection Systems.
- This position specifically requires the programming of: Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and SLC-500 PLCs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View ME HMIs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View SE SCADA Systems, Rockwell Automation Historian SE systems and Microsoft SQL Server. Additionally, this position requires the management and revision of all associated lifecycle documentation.
- The position acts as a site subject matter expert for automation related issues (PLCs, HMIs, Vision, SCADA, and Historians) based upon good engineering practices, cGMP, GAMP, and related industry standards. Additionally, this position acts as a technical liaison between the Manufacturing, Engineering and IS departments.
- This position manages the implementation of large and small scale automation projects. Implements automation modifications to improve safety, product quality and/or reduce costs. The position is responsible for the transfer of automation technology from development to manufacturing, performing equipment change control, verification and qualification, and evaluation of automation systems to aid in solving product and process problems.
DIMENSIONS OF THE JOB:
- This position requires experience in the specification, design, and programming of control systems. This position requires the management of projects and externally sourced control system projects.
- The Sr. Automation Engineer manages activities and project development from the beginning to successful completion and implementation. The position is responsible for defining the project and activities scope, goals and deliverables to support business goals in collaboration with senior management and key stakeholders.
- The activities and projects will ensure that capacity needs are met and contribute to the enhancement of the Site's operational performance, through Cost, Quality, and Safety analysis.
- The Sr. Automation Engineer is assigned within bioMérieux Durham Operations. The site operates two high speed filling lines, one high speed packaging line, autoclaves, USP water systems, formulation systems, and mixed gas systems with different degrees of automation within the manufacturing equipment.
- Programming of: Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and SLC-500 PLCs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View ME HMIs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View SE SCADA Systems, Rockwell Automation Historian SE systems and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Provide support as a subject matter expert to maintain automation systems in a compliant and fit for intended use state.
- Act as a technical liaison between the Manufacturing, Engineering and Quality departments.
- Conduct Failure Investigations and implement solutions (corrective and preventive actions) that solve automation problems, follow-up on corrective and preventive actions to determine their effectiveness and suitability, and prepare written reports on these activities in a timely fashion.
- Lead small projects and make independent decisions on automation problems.
- Participate in commissioning and qualification activities (e.g. SAT, IQ, OQ) and conduct verification activities as required by the change control program.
- Ability to read, understand and modify P&IDs and I/O drawings.
- Analyze computerized systems performance data to identify trends to predict potential failures and aid in solving product and process problems.
- Write, review, and revise Manufacturing and Engineering documents for new and existing automated manufacturing systems.
- Provide and document training of technical and production personnel in the application of new automated manufacturing systems.
- This position will require some work to be done during non-standard work hours. Examples include, but are not limited to equipment troubleshooting, general maintenance activities, automation upgrades, hardware and/or software migrations, and system validations.
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science or related field is required.
- A minimum of 7 years' work experience, hands on experience programming of PLCs and HMIs, and experience with automation project engineering support.
- Experience with Cognex Vision based Inspection systems and GE Fanuc Robots is preferred.
- Experience in supervising external vendors /contractors is preferred.
- cGMP, validation, and FDA industry experience preferred.
- Strong ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Joining bioMérieux, is choosing to join an innovative company with a long term vision, committed to the service of public health and carried out with a humanistic corporate culture. Our Group offers numerous possibilities: so come and join the 11,200 bioMérieux team members who already identify with these values!
bioMérieux is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/GINA
Job ID: 2865 Nearest Major Market:
Durham Nearest Secondary Market: