A world leader in the field of in vitro diagnostics for over 55 years, bioMérieux provides diagnostic solutions that detect disease and contamination to improve patient health and ensure consumer safety. bioMérieux’s global headquarters is located in Marcy L’Étoile, France, and we have more than 11,200 team members in 43 countries. With our distributor network, we serve more than 160 countries. bioMérieux, Inc., our Americas division, has more than 4,000 team members across 12 sites or subsidiaries. Our Americas headquarters is in Durham, NC, with nearly 1,200 team members. bioMérieux, Inc. sponsors public health initiatives and partnerships to address antimicrobial resistance, sepsis awareness, food safety, and consumer health. Our passionate team members recognize the power of diagnostics and rally behind our mission to help save lives.
Provides strong global leadership, vision, management, and is responsible for technical, process, and people outcomes of the department. Ensures coordination of global R&D biosciences and assures alignment of activities and initiatives with the company vision, strategy and processes. Acts as a key contributor to the global R&D strategy to ensure that bioMérieux develops differentiated, high quality products on time, within budget, and with a high degree of customer satisfaction. Key driver of new product, process, technology and people development.
- Ensures coordination of global R&D activities for the department.
- Collaborates with other functional leaders within the department to foster a systems approach to product development.
- Responsible for product planning, organizational design and development, directing and tracking all global R&D bioscience activities of the department, ensuring proper resource allocation, arbitration and resolution of conflicting interests, fostering collaboration with other departments, establishing and managing the departmental budget, ensuring compliance with the quality system and regulations as well as global R&D procedures.
- Assures the management of individual and collective performance and reward of all employees in the department, as well as assuring training & development and mentoring of employees. Continuously improves technical, scientific and managerial excellence in the department.
- Responsible for relationship management, both inside and outside the organization, managing research contracts, in order to provide value added to the department and the company at large.
- Implements site safety policies, human resource policies, and corporate initiatives.
- Establishes strong relationships and interactions across all R&D functions and between functions and the programs.
- With technical experts, anticipates and solves specific technical problems where the solution is not to be found within the discipline, and approves of change in technology across disciplines. Recognizes medical, scientific or technology trends.
- Establishes and maintains a high level of scientific expertise regarding infectious disease identification, susceptibility testing, and current clinical microbiology practices within the department which is necessary to provide relevant advice to appropriate individuals within the company.
Studies and Experience:
- MD or Ph.D. +10/20 years, M.S. +15/25 years, B.S.+<25 years relevant experience of relevant experience with knowledge about industry and competition’s products and technologies (or a combination of equivalent experience and education).
- Excellent knowledge of clinical microbiology including current practices for identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
- Strong product development experience.
- Desired: track record in bringing world class products, processes, and technologies to market and significant experience with regulatory compliance, GMP.
Other Skills and Qualifications:
- Conceptual thinking, developing others, impact and influence, organizational awareness, relationship building, team leadership, process improvement, organization development, strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead cross-cultural and transversal groups, both internally and externally.
- Excellent personal and project management skills and leadership.
Scope and Resources Accountability, Typical Performance Indicators:
- Scope and Resources Accountability: 20 - 50 FTE direct reports, with 50 – 80 indirect reports.
- Financial Indicators (revenue, budget, etc.): Budget of 3 - 45 M US$
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs): Development of profitable technological solutions: margin, cost structure, quality, effective managerial leadership in programs/projects, development of technical and managerial expertise and leadership: Human Capital, employee motivation, effectiveness of budgetary decisions, sharing of best practices and know how.
- Key Contacts (internal/external) and Interfaces: Company leadership, all R&D functions, program/project leadership, customers, marketing (Global and Local), manufacturing, legal affairs, QA/RA, other…business and scientific communities, industry.
- English (fluent)
- Second relevant langauage is highly desirable (intermediate level)
Joining bioMérieux, is choosing to join an innovative company with a long term vision, committed to the service of public health and carried out with a humanistic corporate culture. Our Group offers numerous possibilities: so come and join the 11,200 bioMérieux team members who already identify with these values!
bioMérieux is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/GINA