A world leader in the field of in vitro diagnostics for over 55 years, bioMérieux provides diagnostic solutions that detect disease and contamination to improve patient health and ensure consumer safety. In North America we have more than 5,000 team members across 12 sites or subsidiaries, including Salt Lake City based BioFire Diagnostics. We believe in the power of diagnostics and bioMérieux sponsors public health initiatives and partnerships to address antimicrobial resistance, sepsis awareness, food safety, and consumer health across the globe. Come be a part of our mission to help save lives.
The Patent/Corporate Paralegal will be a vital member of the Legal & Patent Teams and will provide support in the areas of patent portfolio management, corporate governance, business transactions, entity management, and project management. The Legal & Patent Teams works closely with other divisions of bioMerieux, and this position will partner with attorneys to meet the organization’s diverse legal needs. The Patent/Corporate Paralegal will often interact with R&D, finance, executive and mid-level management, and outside counsel to manage patent filings, and to create initial drafts of transaction documents, corporate records, and communications for attorney review. The Patent/Corporate Paralegal is a position that requires self-motivation, detail-orientation, and the willingness to ask questions and work closely in a team.
- Maintain patent dockets and files. With a worldwide patent portfolio, the Patent/Corporate Paralegal will be responsible for appropriate docketing, deadline tracking, and maintaining files. Experience with patent docketing is required.
- Work with internal inventors to obtain assignment documents and inventor declarations.
- Manage databases for both the Patent Team and Legal Team. Processes include revision control, obtaining executed documents, and electronic storage of such documents.
- Prepare and maintain corporate filings and governance documents. The Legal Team creates and keeps the corporate records for multiple entities, and the Patent/Corporate Paralegal will be primarily responsible for the organization and maintenance of these records including formation, dissolution, and amendment filings and resolutions, written consents, annual report filing, certifications, minutes, and other corporate documents.
- Lead contracts management process, including handling intake, review, redlining, drafting, analysis, and revision of a wide range of agreements under the direction of a supervising attorney, including complex matters relating to procurement, licensing, clinical, and research activities;
- Correspond internally and externally with diligence and care. While the Corporate Paralegal will operate primarily within the Legal & Patent Teams, there will often be occasions that require this position to communicate with other internal departments (e.g. Research & Development, Compliance, and Regulatory Affairs), external parties (such as academic institutions, vendors, and research collaborators, outside counsel), and Company Officers and Board Members. The Patent/Corporate Paralegal must communicate precisely and clearly, whether internally or externally.
- Coordinate priorities and schedules within the Legal & Patent Teams. The Legal & IP Teams manage multiple projects and priorities at any given time, and the Corporate Paralegal will assist in maintaining project and task lists.
- Tracking legal spend for the Legal & Patent Teams
- Provide additional legal and administrative support to the Legal & Patent Teams as needed
Studies and Experience:
- Assoc Degree specializing in Secretarial / Management / Law
- Experience ≥ 5 years
Skills and Qualifications:
- Solve routine problems in microcomputing
- Solve complex problems in elements of patent or trademark law, in knowledge of the company, in written and oral expression.
- Ability to communicate at all levels
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Advanced use of Office 365 Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc.)
Joining bioMérieux, is choosing to join an innovative company with a long term vision, committed to the service of public health and carried out with a humanistic corporate culture. Our Group offers numerous possibilities: so come and join the 13,000 bioMérieux team members who already identify with these values!
bioMérieux is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/GINA.