A world leader in the field of in vitro diagnostics for over 55 years, bioMérieux provides diagnostic solutions that detect disease and contamination to improve patient health and ensure consumer safety. In North America we have more than 5,000 team members across 12 sites or subsidiaries, including Salt Lake City based BioFire Diagnostics. We believe in the power of diagnostics and bioMérieux sponsors public health initiatives and partnerships to address antimicrobial resistance, sepsis awareness, food safety, and consumer health across the globe. Come be a part of our mission to help save lives.
- The Automation Controls Engineer is responsible for the support, troubleshooting, and maintenance of the bioMérieux Manufacturing and Packaging Automation Systems, which include PLCs and HMIs, Robots, and Vision Inspection Systems.
- This position specifically requires the programming of: Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and SLC-500 PLCs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View ME HMIs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View SE SCADA Systems. Additionally, this position requires the management and revision of all associated lifecycle documentation.
- The position acts as a site subject matter expert for automation related issues (PLCs, HMIs, SCADA and Historians) based upon good engineering practices, cGMP, GAMP, and related industry standards.
- This position assists in the implementation small to medium scale automation projects. Implements automation modifications to improve safety, product quality and/or reduce costs.
- This position is responsible for the implementation of small scale automation projects; implementation of automation modifications to improve safety, product quality and/or reduce costs.
- This position requires experience in the specification, design, and programming of control systems. This position requires the management of internal projects and externally sourced control system projects.
- The Automation Controls Engineer manages activities and project development from the beginning to successful completion and implementation. The position is responsible to define the project and activities scope, goals and deliverables to support business goals in collaboration with management and key stakeholders. The activities and projects will ensure that capacity needs are met and contribute to the enhancement of the Site’s operational performance, through Cost / Quality / Safety.
- The Automation Controls Engineer is assigned within Durham Operations. The site operates two high speed filling lines, one high speed packaging line, autoclaves, USP water systems, formulation systems, and mixed gas systems with different degrees of automation within the manufacturing equipment.
- Programming of: Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and SLC-500 PLCs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View ME HMIs, Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View SE SCADA Systems.
- Provide support as a subject matter expert to maintain automation systems in a compliant and fit for intended use state.
- Conduct Failure Investigations and implement solutions (corrective and preventive actions) that solve automation problems, follow-up on corrective and preventive actions to determine their effectiveness and suitability, and prepare written reports on these activities in a timely fashion.
- Lead small to medium sized projects and make independent decisions on automation problems.
- Participate in commissioning and qualification activities (e.g. SAT, IQ, OQ) and conduct verification activities as required by site change control program.
- Analyze computerized systems performance data to identify trends to predict potential failures and aid in solving product and process problems.
- Review and revise Manufacturing and Engineering documents for new and existing automated manufacturing systems.
- Provide and document training of technical and production personnel in the application of new automated manufacturing systems.
- This position will require some work to be done during non-standard work hours. Examples include, but are not limited to equipment troubleshooting, general maintenance activities, automation upgrades, hardware and/or software migrations, and system validations.
Studies, Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required, hands on experience programming of PLCs and HMIs, and experience with automation project engineering support.
- BS in Engineering or Computer Science or related technical field is required.
- cGMP, validation and FDA industry experience preferred.
- Strong ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Joining bioMérieux, is choosing to join an innovative company with a long term vision, committed to the service of public health and carried out with a humanistic corporate culture. Our Group offers numerous possibilities: so come and join the 13,000 bioMérieux team members who already identify with these values!
bioMérieux is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/GINA.