A world leader in the field of in vitro diagnostics for over 55 years, bioMérieux provides diagnostic solutions that detect disease and contamination to improve patient health and ensure consumer safety. In North America we have more than 5,000 team members across 12 sites or subsidiaries, including Salt Lake City based BioFire Diagnostics. We believe in the power of diagnostics and bioMérieux sponsors public health initiatives and partnerships to address antimicrobial resistance, sepsis awareness, food safety, and consumer health across the globe. Come be a part of our mission to help save lives.
The bioMerieux Systems Development team is looking for another Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer to join the team! If you have at least three years of experience either developing software for embedded systems, or developing software with good object-oriented C++ background and are interested in working on embedded systems, please read the job description below and apply today!
The Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer is a technical position, expected to play a collaborative role in the embedded software and firmware engineering design activities developing complex medical diagnostic equipment. This individual contributes to the proof of concept, definition, conception, development and support of functional components or specific protocols compatible with their integration into working and marketable products and services by autonomously performing planned activities.
- Assists in the definition, proof of concept, design, development, implementation and/or support of technical or business solutions by performing specific research activities or developments within the scope of the assigned activity.
- Assumes responsibility for the identification of errors and/or related problem solving in order to identify the necessary activities to provide a solution.
- Ensures quality of deliverables by following good design practices and departmental procedures for design control and/or good scientific practices to ensure scientific relevance.
- Creates appropriate documentation such as scientific communication, reports, meeting reports and/or other relevant reports within the function.
- Defines priorities within the scope of the assigned activities to ensure timelines and quality of projects they are involved in.
- Explains/trains users/collaborators throughout the organization in new functional approaches, methods and tools.
- Collaborate and produce technical output as part of a team of ten or more Embedded Software and Firmware Engineers.
- Follow best practices in engineering design and leads the utilization of advanced Embedded Software and Firmware engineering theories, methods and research techniques.
- Develop, document, and test embedded software and firmware in C++ (and C) using classical object-oriented design principles.
- Create appropriate technical documentation, including technical reports and lab notebook unit tests as required.
- Participate in technical design and code reviews.
- Comply with design control guidelines and Quality requirements within the company’s regulated ISO\FDA environment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- BS or MS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent with a minimum of 3 years' work experience developing object-oriented software.
- Proficient in C++, fluent in object-oriented design principles.
- Proficient in use of Development & Debug Environments, Source Control Repositories and Code Comparison Tools.
- Interest in embedded systems and concepts (real-time operating systems, motor control, USB, I2C, SPI, Ethernet). Prior workplace experience with these NOT required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office productivity tools – primarily Excel, Word and Outlook, but also Visio, One-Note, PowerPoint and Project.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Experience writing software running on microcontrollers controlling complex electromechanical equipment, embedded hardware controls, automation or robotic systems.
- Experience with ARM-based microcontrollers.
- Experience with the Green Hills Integrity real-time operating system and the Green Hills MULTI IDE.
- Experience with the CAN-Open protocol.
- Experience with Linux operating systems (bonus points for developing embedded systems with Linux).
- Experience with code metric analysis tools (static analysis, SonarQube, etc.).
- Experience with automated unit test development and unit testing frameworks (bonus points for unit testing embedded software applications).
- Experience with automated build environments.
- Experience working in an ISO/FDA regulated environment.
Joining bioMérieux, is choosing to join an innovative company with a long term vision, committed to the service of public health and carried out with a humanistic corporate culture. Our Group offers numerous possibilities: so come and join the 13,000 bioMérieux team members who already identify with these values!
bioMérieux is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/GINA.