A world leader in the field of in vitro diagnostics for over 55 years, bioMérieux provides diagnostic solutions that detect disease and contamination to improve patient health and ensure consumer safety. In North America we have more than 5,000 team members across 12 sites or subsidiaries, including Salt Lake City based BioFire Diagnostics. We believe in the power of diagnostics and bioMérieux sponsors public health initiatives and partnerships to address antimicrobial resistance, sepsis awareness, food safety, and consumer health across the globe. Come be a part of our mission to help save lives.
The Senior Research Scientist is responsible for independently planning and executing research and development projects focused on the generation of novel, rapid molecular diagnostic assays to detect microorganisms in various applications. This position works under the supervision of the Director or Research and Development to carry out complex R&D objectives from project initiation through commercialization. The Senior Research Scientist is responsible for designing, monitoring, and troubleshooting experiments as well as analyzing results, anticipating bottlenecks, and seeking creative solutions to challenges encountered during the development process using scientific knowledge, evaluation of the scientific literature, and laboratory research. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to oversee, guide, and assist with assay development projects assigned to other R&D scientists in order to accelerate expansion of Invisible Sentinel’s product portfolio. The Research Scientist must be enthusiastic about the pursuit of science and focused on maintaining a positive R&D team dynamic.
- Plan and execute research and development projects
- Collaborate with and oversee fellow scientists to advance departmental objectives
- Design experiments to be performed by project team members. Analyze data resulting from these experiments with a critical eye generate conclusions and propose next steps
- Anticipate challenges and troubleshoot experimental difficulties
- Ensure activities are consistent with project critical path and respond appropriately to changing priorities to deliver projects that meet the design specification on time
- Upon project completion, collaborate with technology transfer team to properly document assay development data/performance specifications and transfer manufacturing instructions/practices for commercial launch. Interact with sales team to provide scientific background in preparation for product sales and customer interactions
- Respond to scientific and technical inquiries from customers and prospective customers
- Assists the Director of Research and Development with special projects and critical tasks
Studies and Experience:
- Ph.D. in molecular biology, biology, microbiology, biotechnology, or related discipline plus two years of industry experience, or Bachelor of Science/Masters in related fields with 5-7 years industry experience.
- In-depth knowledge of molecular biology, microbiology, and genetic principles and methodology
- Significant experience performing molecular biology and industrial microbiological techniques, including:
- Design and optimization of RT PCR- and endpoint PCR-based assays for sensitivity, specificity, and robustness
- Culture of diverse microorganisms, including implementation of selective growth and isolation strategies that favor target organism growth/detection over background organisms
- Experience with FDA, USDA or USP microbial isolation methods.
- Proven track record of leading or collaborating with small teams to successful project outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize tasks appropriately to address fluctuations in deadlines, excellent oral and written communication skills
Skills and Qualifications:
- Able to work in a dynamic, multi-tasking and cross-functional environment
- Team-oriented and proactive attitude; ability to communicate and interact effectively with management as well as lab personnel, sales personnel, and customers
- Ability to work both independently and on team-based initiatives
- Broad scientific knowledge and strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to independently plan, execute, and troubleshoot molecular biology and microbiology experiments geared towards the development of novel molecular detection assays
- Excellent attention to detail including accurate and thorough record keeping
Joining bioMérieux, is choosing to join an innovative company with a long term vision, committed to the service of public health and carried out with a humanistic corporate culture. Our Group offers numerous possibilities: so come and join the 13,000 bioMérieux team members who already identify with these values!
bioMérieux is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/GINA.