A world leader in the field of in vitro diagnostics for over 55 years, bioMérieux provides diagnostic solutions that detect disease and contamination to improve patient health and ensure consumer safety. In North America we have more than 5,000 team members across 12 sites or subsidiaries, including Salt Lake City based BioFire Diagnostics. We believe in the power of diagnostics and bioMérieux sponsors public health initiatives and partnerships to address antimicrobial resistance, sepsis awareness, food safety, and consumer health across the globe. Come be a part of our mission to help save lives.
The Senior Technical Buyer works with the Product Development Team and is part of Global Purchasing.
- Strong technical engineering background and supplier market knowledge are preferred with procurement experience required.
- Challenge and benchmark technical solutions requests proposed by R&D in order to improve margin and reduce risk, including components life cycle management
- Select, negotiate, contract and manage relationships with international and domestic vendors to achieve stated Quality/Cost/Delivery goals of Program objectives
- Provide support to Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing, Sales and accounting departments as needed.
- Manages and coordinates activities of the local Projects Buyers.
- Collaborate with cross functional team members on the projects to include
- Define Purchasing project strategy in accordance with Project strategy & Global Purchasing strategy
- Participate to technical design review in Project cross-functional teams to deliver Purchasing added value. and with regards to global Purchasing project activities;
- Partner with R&D to develop Design for Cost and Design to Value models for new components and/or high-level assemblies.
- Promote Global Purchasing approach in the project
- Ensures that all consultations and/or negotiations are managed in accordance with the established strategies/agreements in place;
- Develop negotiation strategies and deliver procurement savings
- Manages product cost reduction through Value Analysis/Value Engineering, Design & Re-Design to cost, Product Re-engineering, Target costing.
- Perform complex tear down analyses and competitive benchmarking of diagnostics and medical devices and provide comparative assessments and improvement opportunities.
- Assess internally manufactured components and/or assemblies to perform Make or Buy analysis.
- Collaborate with Global Purchasing Members
- Plans Purchasing activities, with regards to the terms and conditions of the Suppliers relationships, in coordination with the Global Category Manager and project/program shedule
- Escalates to the Category Manager / Buyer the major contractual non-performances of the Suppliers.
Studies and Experience:
- Science degree or (Engineering, mechanics, electronics or technical; with experience in Purchasing preferred); or Supply Chain degree with purchasing experience
- 7+ years of experience in Purchasing preferred; or 5 years in technical field with purchasing experience
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent negotiation skills:
- Functional experience with sourcing, selecting and qualifying suppliers,
- Understanding products/services,
- Preparing and leading negotiations, planning and organizing,
- Contract management and legal awareness,
- Total cost of ownership management,
- Strong leadership skills:
- Demonstrated ability to challenge, take ownership of issues, to initiate actions, and to make effective decisions.
- Capacity to coordinate and manage local Projects Buyers activities
- Effective communication skills:
- Winning and influencing, resilience, builds trust, makes decisions and achieves results.
- Managing multicultural interface,
- Effective team member:
- Demonstrated ability to influence and drive change with team members, and at all levels of the organization.
- Collaborative skills to develop and implement Purchasing strategies cross-functionally and globally.
Language(s): English, French (optional)
Up to 20% travel expected mainly St. Louis/Salt Lake City
Joining bioMérieux, is choosing to join an innovative company with a long term vision, committed to the service of public health and carried out with a humanistic corporate culture. Our Group offers numerous possibilities: so come and join the 13,000 bioMérieux team members who already identify with these values!
bioMérieux is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/GINA.