Support and lead certain activities for Payroll Accountants/Analysts within scope. Ensure payroll is processed accurately and on time. Provide oversight and support of the bi-weekly payroll processing. Ensure and oversee compliance and timely filing for all tax jurisdictions. Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual Payroll related accruals and reconciliations. Supports monthly budget to actual headcount and salary reports and supports the annual budgeting process. Coordinate with HR and other departments to gather information necessary for payroll processes. Perform special projects as assigned by Senior Payroll Manager related to Finance/Accounting and Payroll activities. Payroll requires discretion, confidentiality and sensitivity.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all work in compliance with company policy and within the guidelines of bioMérieux for the assigned scope.
- Lead/supervise activities for Payroll Accountants/Analysts. Directly supervises staff, which includes support for hiring, orienting, onboarding, training, assigning, and reviewing work performance, annual work performance appraisals and corrective action.
- Ensures payroll is processed accurately and meets all company and regulatory deadlines.
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Lead and participate in pre- and post-payroll auditing/reconciling procedures and troubleshoot anomalies.
- Manage and oversees key payroll controls in the company’s internal control program.
- Manage and administer pay policies (LOA, STD, time off, bonus, etc.) and ensure appropriate amounts/deductions are applied accurately to different earnings codes in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws.
- Support annual bonus and merit increase process.
- Maintain compliance with all expat reporting and tracking requirements.
- Support Human Resources and Department trainings related to payroll.
- Support intercompany employee transfers as relates to payroll.
- Fulfill garnishment orders, new hire reporting requirements and tax requirements.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reporting of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Identifies and leads updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
- Participate in audits related to payroll, 401(k), and state taxing authorities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Senior Payroll Manager.
- May be asked to attend conferences or training to maintain current working knowledge of tax and labor regulations applicable to payroll and maintain current payroll systems training.
- Makes decisions in conjunction with Senior Payroll Manager regarding management of payroll staff.
- High level contributor to decisions meant to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing.
- High level contributor to decisions about changes or creation of new payroll processes.
Training and Education
Bachelor’s degree required, Accounting degree is preferred.
At least 6+ years’ experience overseeing payroll processing and analysis or other financial analysis for headcount greater than 500 employees, with experience leading or supervising a finance function.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and write technical instructions and maintain excellent documentation for auditing purposes.
- Personable and service oriented with attention to detail, excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Advanced MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- SAP or equivalent accounting software preferred.
- Experience with Ceridian DayForce or other HRIS/Payroll system preferred but not required.
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, with emphasis in accruals accounting and payroll taxes preferred.
- Knowledge of current regulations related to payroll, payroll taxes, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Able to lift 15-25 lbs. on a regular basis. General physical requirements found in an office setting.