At BioFire Diagnostics, LLC. we make the world a healthier place by providing molecular solutions that lessen the time to medical results and empower healthcare professionals to make better diagnostic decisions.
We are proud to be part of the bioMérieux family and the 5,000+ team members across 12 sites and subsidiaries in North America committed to our mission to help save lives around the globe through the power of diagnostics.
Come be a part of our team and our mission as a Software Architect!
Software development architects plan, design, and build systems of client-based and web-based scientific and business application software. They decide, along with upper management, on technologies and platforms to be used for development, taking into consideration software licensing and distribution restrictions. They are expected to thoroughly understand BioFire Diagnostics’ core technology, business, and the enterprise systems that enable them. Architects will work with department directors, project managers, and stake holders to ensure that software meets specifications, is delivered on time, is maintainable, and fits with the overarching system of software and processes.
When working on software projects, architects are expected to contribute to the specifications, design, and schedules under which the project operates. They should work efficiently with the development and test engineering groups to produce high quality software by coding to industry standards, writing unit and regression tests intended to run on continuous integration build servers, effectively utilizing the development tools, and contributing to software design documents. When specifications are incorrect, inconsistent, or could be improved, architects are expected to propose changes to project managers.
Architects are expected to check in their source code and unit tests to source control on a regular basis, and to review code check-ins from other software development engineers. They should work actively with their teams to move software through the Quality System.Architects spend most of their time designing solutions, researching new technologies, and mentoring junior engineers. They may occasionally work Jira tickets and contribute in the development of a sprint, but their primary purpose is to provide strategic direction for the technology of the department and company.
Studies and Experience:
- Perform all work in compliance with company policy and within the guidelines of BioFire Diagnostics’ Quality System.
- Understand BioFire Diagnostics’ mission, values, and core technologies.
- Read and interpret software specifications, high-level requirements, and detailed design documents, and implement software according to those specifications.
- Maintain BioFire Diagnostics’ software products.
- Write unit tests for all code development activities.
- Complete projects on time with minimal supervision from the project manager.
- Continually update technical knowledge and skills.
- Lead technical code reviews as both a reviewer and reviewee. They ensure code reviews take place.
- Communicate road blocks to project managers or technical leads and recommend solutions.
- Foster a collaborative and cooperative work environment.
- Take responsibility for quality of software by working with software test engineering group to help verify software products.
- Develop testing strategies, plans, and related software fixtures.
- Understand applicable enterprise systems used by BioFire Diagnostics.
- Work with software project managers and technical writers to develop software inputs and design specifications and evaluate the feasibility of design inputs.
- Work with junior software engineers to share skills and solve problems
- Understand the software regulatory climate and evaluate specification and validation requirements to meet regulatory requirements.
- Provide direction and mentoring to junior software engineers.
- Communicate and collaborate inside of and across departments.
- Oversee training of software development engineers in their department.
- Review code check-ins periodically and provide feedback to software development engineers.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Requires a Bachelor of Science in an engineering, scientific or technical field. Advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years of work experience software development or a related field, and a minimum of 5 years in software development at BioFire Diagnostics or another medical device manufacturer.
- Object-oriented design practices
- Database architecture, design, and implementation, as well as ORM tools
- Windows OS experience
Basic Engineering skills:
- Source control
- Defect tracking
- Build systems
- Contribute to design discussions and implement software design decisions.
- Provide project managers with technical risk assessments of proposed software modifications.
- Determine effort required for implementation and verification of software design.
- Assess the quality of third party components for use in software development.
- Assist in the assignment of other software engineers to tasks based on their ability.
- Software development architects are responsible for the technical integrity of the software subject to constraints of management and software specification. They ensure all software fits with the overarching system of processes, software, and other tools.