Site Manufacturing Controller
The Site Manufacturing Controller (SMC) is the Finance Business Partner for the Site Director and sits on the Site Leadership Team. The SMC supports the Site Director and Leadership Team in decision making to maximize value, is responsible for all financial activities and processes from budgeting, to reporting, to forecasting, and represents the site financially to the Region and to Corporate
SMC responsibility are directly linked to site complexity (e.g. site size and organization, product ranges, site projects and evolution, etc) and impact the P&L, Balance Sheet, Corporate cash flow, and business case development and decision making
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive all closing processes in coordination with Operations. Accounting, and Manufacturing Finance, report performance vs budget and targets, and ensure timely and appropriate delivery in line with Corporate Closing Guidance (date & procedures).
- Implement a continuous improvement approach personally and among stakeholders to ensure relevant and efficient contributions on financial analysis and discussions. (e.g. making proposals on budget simplification, thresholds for reviews/approvals, etc)
- Lead the Site annual budget process involving Site Director and Managers, and present the conclusions on P&L, Industrial Variances, Manufacturing Standard Costs (MSC) calculation and analysis, hourly rate calculation, headcounts, Opex, Capex, Non-Quality/Scrap costs. Analyze and report monthly performance to stakeholders including Site Director and Leadership Team and Regional Controlling Director. Follow up on risks and opportunities for further analysis and recommendations.
- Propose to Manufacturing Managers concrete action plans that could be included in the Continuous Improvement site roadmap (Hoshin). These actions have to be shared and validated during dedicated steering committees. Actively contribute and/or lead worldwide financial transversals project (as Finance Roadmap stream leaders, Finance 2.0, Finance Expert Network, Key User Finance).
- Participate in monthly S&OP meetings with Sales and Marketing, Global Demand, and the Site Director and direct reports. Review and question or challenge forecasts and proposed options when appropriate and monitor consistency in sales and production forecasts for alignment
- Alert Site Director and/or N-1 on all significant variances (KPI’s or processes) and propose corrective action plans. Ensure Corporate procedures are followed within his/her area of responsibility: analytical allocations, accounting rules, provisions, investments and tax rules, etc
- Ensure site adherence to inventory processes with all site stakeholders (Site Director and N-1), be responsible for data accuracy of real stock recorded on the balance sheet. Monitor progress and ensure completion of financial audit and cycle counting and physical inventory procedures on a regular basis SMC presents the conclusions to the external Auditors which will then be shared by the Auditors to Corporate Finance
- Promote a visible and responsible financial culture on site involving all manufacturing managers, helping them on financial concepts, adapting the communication depending of the audience representative, and organize local training sessions for managers.
- Develop the Risk Management Approach and implement the internal controls within his/her area of responsibility. Contribute to new procedures definition in collaboration with other finance departments. Perform the necessary trainings accordingly.
- Develop all financial analysis (e.g. make vs buy decisions, discounted cash flows and net profit value, underactivity and/or impairment) in line with manufacturing challenges. Build, propose, and share with business contributors all relevant options on analyzed scenarios. Communicate the conclusions helping all stakeholders (Business, Finance, Site/Regional Managers, Executive Committee (ExCom)) to take the right decision
- Review all Capital Expenditures (Capex) to ensure appropriate resource allocation, explore alternatives proposals, evaluate impact to MSCs, and make recommendations to maximize the ROI.
- Develop his/her network internally or externally (other companies, professional networks, research) to adapt his / her job to new requests: next allocations model, digitalization, monitoring of the site performance as industrial variance and P&L.
- Be a key upstream contributor for new business plan estimation with R&D Unit making estimations on MSC forecast with the support from Operations. Propose to R&D teams / program Directors options that could improve the MSC and increase the gross margin.
- Actively contribute to gross margin improvement working with Marketing Business team and helping them to drive the sales price evolution . Being the key support for Marketing (Product Manager / Regional Manager) giving visibility on gross margin evolution linked to the volumes to deal with.
- Actively participate in the implementation of Information Systems (IS) projects (and any other project) impacting his/her area of responsibility
- Based on requests from Executive Committee Members, VP Regional Manufacturing, Site Director (and/or his department managers), Finance and/or Marketing Directors, External Auditors, and Governmental Representative, provide requested financial analysis to aid decision making: including (but not limited to) P&L impacts, balance sheet, contributive margin, Manufacturing Standard Cost (MSC) evolution, Stratplan over 5 years, and simulation over several scenarios . All financial requests built in collaboration with manufacturing stakeholders to ensure alignment on the current situation and forecasts (quarterly and/or 5years).
- Liaise with Site Director and Engineering and Regional Manufacturing and Engineering on the Capital Expense Strategic five year plan (Capex Strat Plan) and ensure reasonable and sustainable timing of project initiation
- As a strong contributor on the strategy with his/her Site Director and Leadership Team, the Site Manufacturing Controller has to be able to challenge all structural projects on site.
- Take the lead on financial simulations linked to new product introductions, footprint and/or range of products evolution; manufacturing impact (site scope), financial (P&L & balance sheet), Marketing and Business (gross margin impact). The Site Manufacturing Controller has to take into consideration the site evolution / transformation into his day to day activities
Education and Experience
- Graduate from Business School (BA in Finance/Accounting/Economics or related analytical discipline) or if relevant Graduate in Engineering School with significant Finance exposure and experience; CPA preferred
- Experience in Finance Manufacturing, 5 to 8 years of experience
- Experience as Site Team Member with Site Director and direct reports and experience as Project Manager
- Accounting and controlling skills, and day to day use of ERP (SAP is a must)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, rigor, courage
- Analytical and synthesizing capabilities
- Agile and flexible to adjust priorities.
- Strong innovation capacities and creative mindset
- Ability to prepare & present new concepts, giving visibility and clear explanations, removing ambiguity or complexity
May be required to lift boxes containing documents weighing about 50 lbs.